I live and work on the lands of the Turrbal and Jagera peoples, traditional custodians of the lands and waters of the Brisbane area, and pay my deep respect to their elders past, present and emerging.
Novels and Awards:
- Harmony (Scholastic 2021; Long-listed for the ARA Historical Prize – CYA Section)
- A New Kind of Everything (Scholastic 2020)
- The Happiness Quest (Scholastic 2018; CBCA Notable Book for Older Readers 2019)
- This Is My Song (Scholastic 2017; ACU Book Of The Year 2019; Winner of the 2018 Prime Minister’s Literary Award for Young Adult Literature; Finalist in the 2017 Queensland Literary Awards; also published in the Czech Republic by Albatros Media)
- Joyous and Moonbeam (Scholastic 2013; Finalist in the 2014 West Australian Premier’s Awards for Young Adult Literature)
- Spring Rain (Self-published 2011)
- Drink the Air (Strictly Literary: Winner of the 2010 Queensland Premier’s Award for Young Adult Fiction)
- Bloodlines (Strictly Literary 2009)
- The Rose Leopard (University of Queensland Press 2003)
- Medal in the Order of Australia (OAM) in 2011 for services to education, literature and performing arts
- Recipient of the 2022 Queensland Writers Centre – Varuna Fellowship for Established Writers
- Appointed onto the judging panel for the 2021 Prime Minister’s Literary Awards (Children’s and Young Adult Literature)
- Recipient of a 2015 May Gibbs Literature Trust Creative Time Fellowship for the creation of This Is My Song
- Winner of the 2016 FAW NSW Walter Stone Award for Life Writing for Homecoming
- Recipient of an Australia Council Literature Board Grant for Emerging Writers in 2011-2012
- Joint winner of the 2004 Queensland Theatre Company Expressions Play-script Competition for Heart
For workshops on all aspects of the writing process:
For writing mentorships, writing surgery or manuscript assessment via the Queensland Writers’ Centre:
For news or contact:
5 thoughts on “bio”
I would like to make contact about a visit to our college for a writing workshop.
Please send me an email so we can discuss further.
Bernadette – Information & Library Services Manager
Dear Richard. I’m touching base to discuss organising a couple of online creative writing workshops for my school in Term 3. Would it be possible to have a conversation about this? Kind regards, Cameron
Did you write a book called ???? by Richard Yaxley that I got given for an assignment?
I want to know about this due to being very interested in this play/book and was looking for the full version!
Hi Grace, the play without a name – ???? – is part of a book called No Big Drama, published by Jacaranda in 2002 (the authors are Yaxley, McAlister and Saldais). The full version is in there – or maybe you were given the full version – it’s only 10 pages long. Anyway, glad you found it interesting. Best wishes, Richard
Pingback: The Rose Leopard (2003), by Richard Yaxley | ANZ LitLovers LitBlog